When a user attempts to make a connection to another system, he will generally specify the system by name, rather than Internet address. His system has to translate that name to an address before it can do anything. Generally, only a few systems have the database used to translate names to addresses. So the user’s system will want to send a query to one of the systems that has the database. Of course TCP does more than just break things up into datagrams.
- The port numbers are used to keep track of different conversations.
- When two devices want to successfully communicate, they must agree to follow some rules about the way they will do it.
- A layer can hence be defined as being a sub-group of protocols needed in a network communication.
- However rip.doc is probably a better introduction to the subject.
- Instead, they should start with default gateways, and